Letting you grow, learning to let go...

To my favorite son, well... my only son.  I have loved you perfectly.
I have given you all the tools to become a successful man in your lifetime.
I have taught you about God, and kindness to people.
I have held your hand and taught you about fear and how your brilliant, powerful mind was created for love, and nothing else can live in harmony in the mind with love, except love.

I have treasured these 17 years from your birth...laughing with you and listening to your long long long stories about the way you love to hang out with your friends and make them laugh.


I have watched your father love you perfectly.
He has been with you by your side every step of the way, guiding you and teaching you about how to be an excellent man of your word.
I have watched and listened to your Dad give you some of the best and calmly delivered advice I have heard in my lifetime (oh how i appreciate a calm delivery of advice, since i am Italian/Greek and we tend to deliver with more............um passion????)

I have treasured all these moments in my mind.  I see your little face growing and changing daily.  I remember it all.  Each little tear, cry and fall.  I remember it all, the extreme high's of wins and job well done's and grades well deserved.  I love hearing you downstairs strumming at that guitar, which you taught yourself to play, and with which my ears enjoy the music that comes from your heart.
The funny songs, the ones meant to make me laugh and do.
The way you know, because you came born that way, that music can have a profound effect on people.
I love the way you play basketball, because you also came that way...knowing that you are capable of taking and making the game winning shot with a second left and it all depending on you.

There are things that are part of you.
There are things that you come with by birthright and there are things that you learn and make your own.
As we begin to let you go more and more and more... I am watching and appreciating so much of your personality.


I am blessed to not have only been the mother of a son, but of a daughter, who I am so proud of.


Your sister is your best friend for life.  She will be there for you always.  She too  loves and is proud of you.


I write these words into the world of the internet because I want anyone who reads it to know...I do not take any of these days I have been trusted to raise you for granted.






I have, over the years, stood over you and her sleeping and staring at the gift...
It is a gift.
Life.
All of it.

Use your gifts wisely.
This next chapter is uncharted waters for your Dad and myself.
We will swim or sail, side by side, hand in hand, knowing we loved you both perfectly...unconditionally and gave you every opportunity to know and reach out to God.  Hold on to Him.  He won't let go of you.  You may, over the years loosen your grasp on God, but remember... You are held.

I am learning what letting go means.

I am not having to like it, but I am learning this new lesson in life.

Faith is being sure of what you hope for and convicted about what you cannot see. (BIBLE)
I have faith...life is a journey to the finish of heaven, for me.

You come from a great line of faithful husbands to their wives and loving, wise fathers to their children.  I bless you with the knowledge of this great heritage.

My son,
I love you...
I am letting you grow.
I am learning to let go.




Comments

Popular Posts