They never told us all kinds of things...

They never told us all kinds of things. 

They let us learn it through experience.

We were 20 when we got married and living in Lynchburg, Virginia attending Liberty University.  We had a baby at 20 and my husband played basketball and was going to school.
They never told us that it was going to take determination, working nights at country kitchen (me), driving our baby around Lynchburg ( the kid enjoyed screaming at night), lots of hours in the gym and studying (EP) the support of coaches, and family...and a host of prayers...but we did it.  We finished.

They never told us that it would be hard to live away from our families.
When we decided not to live in NYC or Iowa, they let us come to Dublin, Ohio and put our roots down here.  We had some hard years where it felt like we had made the wrong choice, but they never swooped in and tried to rescue.  The first few years gave way to the last 20 and this place that was "just the middle" became home.

They never told us that having children would be the greatest thing we would ever do in our lifetimes.
They knew this little secret and quietly they let us believe we would do greater.

I sit in the quiet of the dawn breaking hours minutes from launching my baby, man-child into the great beyond that is Ohio State University.  I could barely breath last night.  How do people do it?  My husband and I are not going to pretend we are those people who are celebrating with great excitement waving goodbye to our son and then quickly going to run upstairs, reclaim his room and have a party.

It's just not us.

We are the two people who are going to wake up and look outside and see his car and walk down to his room to just feel his personality close.  We are the two people who will sit around and wish we could hear his little lisp that disappeared one day and we wished we could get it back.  We are the two people who just love our son and are so proud of him and thankful he is going to be 15 minutes away, but cannot believe how different life will be.  We are the two people holding on to each other and saying nothing because nothing else can be said to take away the feeling inside.  We did it.  We raised them... with nothing but the modeling of the people who raised us.  They never told us all kinds of things, but they never had to.  They modeled it on a daily basis.  They were present.  They were connected to each other and to us.  They gave us an eternal perspective on life and a big picture to detail view on life.  They gave us enough balance to know that sometimes you have to go detail to big picture and that is priceless.

The 4 human beings that made the two of us that made the two of them... our parents...us...and our kids.  We will never tell each other all kinds of things in this lifetime, but we are the kind of people who say I love you.  It is with this great love that has been rooted and grounded in me, that I blow the breath of life and the ability to fail and crawl back if necessary to my daughter and to my son.

I love them beyond words.
I love them without reserve.
I love them more than anything thing you can dream... it's more.
I love them with every breath i take.
I love knowing that love comes with me into eternity.
I think of 1 Corinthians 13...  now abide faith, hope and love.... but the greatest of these is love.


They never told us all kinds of things... he, my son, will be fine.  He has the tools to succeed and the brain to know how to use the tools.
T minus minutes to launch time and I can see the future for him, it is very bright, for he has love and gives it freely to all those around him.  That is my greatest achievement as a mother.

Comments

Chera Canupp said…
Beautifully written. Wishing you my best as you all adapt to this new chapter in your life.
Linda DeFine said…
I was very drawn into your writing as I read your blog today. It is a wonderful statement of your love of your family. I miss you
Thank you for the lovely comments. It is often difficult to express inner turmoil and articulate it without reserve. I find writing to be very healing to my mind and heart.

Popular Posts